Three Hours of Puppy Dog Eyes
Oh that was AWFUL!!! Rehearsal was going well enough, and then during "Dulcinea", Travis just grabbed at me, and as I would normally do, I turned to react by swatting at him, but I guess I misjudged the distance and I punched him. Hard. In the face. Specifically, square on the nose. I swear I didn't do it on purpose, and I broke character immediately (for shame) to hug him (or perhaps to pretend to hug him while really holding him down with his arms at his sides for fear that his weird don't-touch-my-face thing would rear up and cause him to punch me right back). He held character and didn't hit me back, but he actually cried, in a manly way - it was that involuntary cry you do when you get punched in the nose. I mean, I've never been punched in the nose, but I've had nose injuries and that's what happens - you can't help but start crying - must be a tear duct connection there somewhere. Luckily nothing bled or broke, but still...I felt pretty bad and proceeded to spend every spare moment of rehearsal and afterward, and a phone call on the way home, apologizing profusely, hugging, and just generally sucking up and feeling terrible.
It was a decent enough rehearsal. I did more damage to my knees, pitched a complete and shameful diva fit over my costume, which I dislike but will be altered, and pitched another complete diva fit over not wanting to wear a wig - until Jan pulled me aside and commented on how terribly thin my hair appears on stage, thus touching on one of my more violent insecurities and sending me right out the door. (It was the end of the night, I was about to leave anyway, that was just one of those "okay, and that's my cue - wig it is, have a good night" moments.) Cutest thing - as I pulled out of the parking lot, I saw Kyle running after my car - I assume to determine why I was upset. I thought that was sweet. (Or perhaps just nosy...but I love him anyway.) What else? We tightened up the abduction scene, as Cathy was kind enough to give the Muleteers a note akin to "What the hell - why do you guys seem afraid to touch her?" So we ran it again, and that helped a lot - much better with the agression. I had lost the corset by then and was just in my skirt and blouse; I was, however, still wearing a strapless bra and we had a little, ah, incident, but nothing that couldn't be handled easily by me running the entire scene with my arms crossed, laughing my ass off. I finally landed some really good slaps on Travis - no problem with that anymore - and got punched in the ear in the process (by mistake, he swore, but it was after the punch in the nose, so who knows...)
As for my day, I accomplished very little today of what I needed to get accomplished. Didn't go to Toyota to have that recall handled. Didn't go check on that apartment. Did go to yoga. Did have a pleasant and only briefly uncomfortable lunch with Travis. Did watch Desperate Housewives and Boston Legal. Did eat more than I probably should have. (Must get away from the house more - I eat like a complete pig when I'm home.) So basically, it was a day of self-indulgence and yes, it was FABULOUS. (Other than that part where I punched my friend in the FACE.)
I cannot believe I punched somebody. Even on accident. What was I doing with my hand in a fist anyway? I'm pretty sure that's my first punch to the face - I've punched in the arm, maybe slapped, but I've never actually punched someone in the face. And Travis has never been punched in the face by a girl. So it was an evening of firsts. I'm harping on this, I know, but I'm really quite affected by it, I think.
Today my happy is that Dan asked me if I've ever played Aldonza before, because he thought I might have by the way I'm doing, and stated that I'm doing a fantastic job. He's so super.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home