Monday, August 22, 2005

He's Too Old For You, And You're Standing Between Me And My Twisty Cone

Okay, after journaling my weekend, I realized that I do have a few amusing anecdotes I'd like to share with me. Er, you.

(I'm feeling more chipper already - I don't know if it's the stomach upset from eating at Kobe last night, which I enjoy but never agrees with me, or being back at work, or the five hours of sleep - but I think maybe it was just typing out, "I'm a jerk. I should stop" that seems to have helped my attitude.)

We went to a movie on Friday night, and while leaving the theatre, Danielle exclaimed, "Oh! Lemme see your Mickey freckle!" (I have a freckle on my arm that looks exactly like Mickey Mouse, and I guess Travis must have told her about it.) I showed it to her and she was very impressed. We were standing near some benches with people sitting on them. Travis, apparently, must have seen some confused looks on those people's faces, so he pointed at me and loudly explained, "She has a weird-shaped freckle on her arm." Feeling the need to one-up him, I loudly countered with, "He has a really big mole on his..." (cut off by the sound of Travis stepping on my foot.) We all laughed. (Note to reader: Travis does not actually have any unusual markings. But it makes for a great public declaration. You can borrow that - I don't mind.)

And then I single-handedly dealt with the jabbery pseudo-preppy tween girls at the Twistee Treat...one of the reasons I love Danielle so much is that she was just as annoyed by them as I was. And she probably could have laid any of them out with one punch. That girl could probably hold her own in a fight against ME. And I'm much tougher than I look.

At the beach on Saturday, Travis and Danielle were in the water (Alyson does not enjoy the ocean water most of the time, and enjoys using "I'll watch the stuff, you guys go have fun" as an excuse) and Danielle came BOOKING IT back up to the beach. Apparently the jellyfish Travis spotted in the distance and dragged her over to check out was actually not very similar to a jellyfish at all, and was more like a...well, a protective device used during times of intimacy that one might mistake for a small jellyfish if seen floating in the water from a distance. Yeah.

And people wonder why I declare Daytona "kinda skeezy."

Finally...on Saturday night, we met with Travis' grandmother and headed to Our Place Down Under for dinner. This is a seafood restaurant where there's table service, but you actually place your order at a counter first, sort of a half-assed Red Lobster but with better food. We're standing at the register gathering drinks, ordering, paying, and I take my rings off and put some hand cream on (something I feel the need to do anytime I use that horrible soap that is usually employed in public restrooms.) Travis was holding my rings, and when I was finished, he placed my thumb ring back on my right hand and my white gold and diamond band (my "college ring," because my parents allowed me to buy whatever kind of ring I wanted as a college ring, knowing I would never wear the real thing) back on my middle finger of my left hand. He then thought better of it and took it back off. This is where the Evil begins.

He held the ring in his hand, gazed at me, took my hands in his, and dropped to one knee. (The joke: A cash register at a noisy seafood restaurant - what, that's not every girl's dream?)

Before the gag could continue, I spooked, yanked my hands away, and leaped back exclaiming, "No, no no no no!!" He laughed, I laughed, Danielle laughed, Mama and Grandma rolled their eyes at us both, and we all went on to find a table. The part that cracked us up the most, other than my irrationally goofy reaction, was that for a fleeting moment when he dropped to one knee, the people in the restaurant who saw him probably thought he was dead-serious and were mid "Awwwww" before being shocked and appalled by my reaction. I think if we'd pulled it off without laughing about it, he probably would have had a substantial number of offers for free drinks. And possibly a few phone numbers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lamba said...

You've gotta love the Daytona folk. My parent's are too afraid to go in the water at Flagler Beach because of the pollutants (sp?) of the Daytona Beaches.

And I would LOVE to go with you sometime to the Playhouse. Give me a date and enough time to buy a reasonable plane ticket (or wait for me to move back to Florida ... which ever is easier).

Love you girl!

11:52 PM  
Blogger David Almeida said...

What is fabulous is that you and Travis seem to be equals when it comes to the "evil" factor of your personalities. Yeah, you freaked out, but some women would be really offended that a guy would even joke about doing that in such a horrible setting.

"I like him, Dickie, I really like him..."

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, you're laughing, I'm not laughing. That proposal was really good. I could make it feel like an engagement.


And I'm still hurting.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home