Thursday, March 10, 2005

No More Throw Rugs And Ikea Floor Lamps - You're A Woman Now

Today I'm happy because my friends are tuned in.

While I was sullenly stalking the aisles of Publix, Luerne was leaving a cheerful voicemail. And very shortly after the conclusion of an introspection-turns-to-self-pity wallow-fest, just as I realized I'd been staring at the same page in my book for about five minutes, the doorbell rang and a friend unexpectedly-but-kind-of-as-planned dropped in, and with Eurotrip, a surprisingly entertaining movie. (In other news, I appear to be getting younger. Or far less uptight. Either way is good.) The DVD crapped out in the very last scene, so it's unclear how the thing ends, but I'm assuming everyone lives happily ever after.

You know what I love? That kind of settled-in period in friendships where people just start making themselves at home. I hate being a host, and I'm terrible at it, so I love the point when someone comes in, wanders about, helps themselves to beverages and whatever they need - it makes my house feel like a home, not just a place where I live and other people sit uncomfortably from time to time. My house loves people - my animals also love people, as you've noted if you've been in my house for more than fourteen seconds, which is about as much time as it takes for Little Bit to warm up to someone new and plant herself firmly in that person's lap. Sometimes it occurs to me that this behaviour might be a little embarassing, but I think she's cute, and I always invite the other person to just sweep her off onto the floor if she's bothering them. The habit of walking from person to person and stomping on laps does irritate me, but it doesn't seem to upset her in the least that I or anyone else in the room is dissatisfied with her behavior. She's been spending too much time with the cats.

So I did go in to work today, and stayed all the way up to 12:15. Apparently when I left I was pale as a ghost, but that's kind of my shade anyway, so no telling what that means. I came home and napped for about four hours. It is as yet unclear, however, whether that nap was necessitated by exhaustion or just boredom. The problem with my job is that I can't really tell if I'm tired and feeling worn out or just bored half to death and dying to leave. If I'm tired, then I need to get home and rest. If I'm bored, I need to stick it out, or my sick time is going to run out real quick.

That four-hour nap is kicking my ass now though - I can't get to sleep. Luckily I can swing by Starbucks for a chai in the morning. The College Park Starbucks ROCKS - there's this one guy there, he's been there forever and I really must find out his name because I love him...anyway, he hands out free drinks like they're going out of style. I have a freebie coming to me because apparently something went fritzy with the machine the other day and he had to fix it, and that took about eleven seconds, so he felt that the delay warranted some sort of compensation to me and the one other lady who was waiting. The delay wouldn't have even been noticeable if he hadn't alerted my attention to it with an apology and a voucher, and that's the second or third time he's done that. Good guy. So now I can opt for the venti, not the grande. Very exciting stuff. (I feel so yuppie saying that - seriously, what would be so bad about small, medium, and large? Do you think they'd be able to charge as much for a large soy chai latte? Is it the pretention of "venti" that justifies the $4.25 price tag?)

Word on the street is that I'm going to see The Jacket tomorrow night. Ahh, Adrien Brody, why do you plague me so? (Honestly, skinny to the point of being gawky, big ears, big nose, blue eyes, thin lips - all these things I'm normally not at all crazy about, so what IS it about this man that leaves me drooling?)

1 Comments:

Blogger gigi said...

I have an Adrien Brody thing too! Weird, b/c aside from having dark hair, he has none of the characteristics I typically like. I believe it's his confidence I find attractive... that and his talent.

Funny, I'm staying home from work today, and as I was typing this comment, Katie Couric announced that Adrien Brody is coming up next on the Today show. :)

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home