Tuesday, October 26, 2004

And If You Believed That...


Did anyone honestly believe I could go two whole weekdays without writing anything? Come on.

Switching gears from happy Peanuts silliness...I could almost send out my "come see it, it will be amazing" email now on Man of La Mancha. I'm still getting over how awesome the principals are. The music director, Dan, is, like, a for-real music director who gave me notes on enunciation and emphasis and breath and emotion and pause here and build there and all those things that music directors do. Jan has all these visions that I totally love - I so dig how my character is introduced, and I'm thrilled that this is her favourite show so she has such passion for how everything is presented, beginning to end. Everyone knows Kyle's going to rock as Quixote, and I'll emphasize again how great Eric's role is for him, and I love Sarah and want to spend as much time with her as possible, so that's all enough to make me itchy for 7:00...but if I may be allowed to wax for a moment - there's one actor in particular who I am so stoked to work with. I've seen him in only one show, but I can't remember ever looking forward as I am to observing someone in the process, ever. Impeccable timing and instincts...I will soak up everything I can from this guy - can't emphasize enough how thrilled I was that he stumbled into the cast. I mean, sure I'd love to work with Ian McKellen, Maggie Smith, et cetera...but in the realm of community theatre, there are still those opportunities to work with people who have a certain little something, and have the added bonus of being nice people, real people with regular old day jobs just like you.

What's great about this show is we had our first rehearsal, and the actors are already acting...not just walking through it scribbling down their blocking while monotoning their lines.

And now for those things that just come to me in the middle of the day that I jot down for later reflection:

Randomness 1: I used to HATE Will Ferrell, and now he's one of my favourite people. I can't pinpoint a moment or a performance that made it so, nor do I recall gradually warming up to him. It's almost like I hated him more than anything, then he saved my mom from drowning and I just immediately decided he was the best thing ever.

Randomness 2: I don't like pennies. Pennies are not trustworthy, they are not clean, and they have very little use. I don't want to offend any pennies who might be upset by this, but they just really creep me out. Frogs, clowns, and pennies. These are things I just can't handle.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't wait two days to post again--it would have given me nothing to do in Biochem.

So who's this fantabulous actor you can't wait to work with?! Oh being out of the loop and 100 miles away makes for such unbearable cliff hangers.. =]
-Jen

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never feared frogs before they showed up in my toilet.

And I like pennies -- a chance for good luck every day in my book!

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home