Grease: The Audition And First Rehearsal
I'm not singing loud enough? But I'm Loud Girl! This is a whole new game, isn't it?
Oh Christ. Fran. And Frank. No pressure, no pressure, no pressure...
Hi, hi! Yes, I'm open and charming and winning! And tall! Yes, focus on the tall! Please don't notice how awkward I am!
Canned music. They're going to figure out that I suck with canned music. Yep, there...they just figured it out.
He's being so nice to me. Thank God.
Read with FRANK? Oh Christ. I'm SO AWKWARD!!!
Sure, I'll just wait down here! Take your time! I'm not freaked out AT ALL!!
You're kidding? You still want me in this show? I kinda figured you were just going to hide upstairs and wait for me to give up and leave.
No, no, don't worry about those Sunday rehearsals, I can totally pick up choreography on my own. No sweat! Heh. Heh heh. (Inside I'm screaming and sobbing in fear.)
Hey, here come the people. Great, I'm so fantastic with new people. They won't think I'm weird at all.
This guy's so NICE. And I'm going to have to make out with him. Don't think about that. Focus on the nice.
Huh...Danny's pretty cute.
She's bubbly. She's bubbly too. I'm still awkward.
Why haven't I moved this arm in a while? I feel like Bob Dole - someone give me a pencil to clutch.
He's staring at me. Say something. "I'm sorry...I'm quiet around new people. I warm up, I promise." Nice. Real nice.
Oh Christ. Jen Gannon. She's so talented. I'm frightened.
He's read my blog? Well, good, at least he already knows what to expect. I feel oddly comfortable with him now.
Everyone is going to wonder why the hell I'm here.
Okay, music...I can handle music. Let's do this.
Everyone's expecting Shannon and they got me. I feel like apologizing.
Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do? That's the strangest warm-up I've ever heard.
Hey, Steve's warm-ups are FUN!
Alright, time to dazzle them with my vocal stylings.
Uh-oh. Everyone's a good belter. I'm going to have to find a new Thing.
She is SO FUNNY.
Why can't I remember anyone's NAME?
Man, what a voice on that guy.
Oooh, five-part harmonies. This is kinda fun.
How does everyone already know this stuff??? Am I just retarded?
THEY'RE OFF BOOK ALREADY???!!!
How do you not turn your back on the audience in this place?
Boston....Boston. Need to find movies that take place in Boston.
Volume? I'm not loud enough for this little theatre? This is going to take work.
Steve's the best possible Sandy.
Wow....he's really a good director. I like how this is going.
Yeah, I think I could totally be friends with this girl. We should all go for pizza and do each other's hair or something.
Still louder? I suck.
Everyone's really ACTING already. You mean I can't just phone it in until opening night?
We're smoking? For real? Oh my God, Travis is going to make me sleep in the guest room.
Note to self: Find tobacco-less cigarettes and buy enough for everyone for the whole run.
I bet it's getting late - I bet Travis is freaking out.
Seriously, she is SO FUNNY!
Why do I always nod at people when they tell me something, like I totally knew that already? Then they're thinking, "If you know you're not loud enough, why not try BEING LOUDER? Then I wouldn't have to tell you. Quit nodding at me!" (This is a habit I've always had that drives me nuts.)
Time to go....that wasn't so bad. I don't know what I was expecting, but that's a lot of really nice people.
This is going to be a lot of fun. Lot of work. But a lot of fun.
I need to be GOOD. I can be good. I will do this. I will do it well. I will take direction and learn from people who are stronger than me and I will have fun and make friends and relax a bit along the way.
I'm scared. Intimidated. Excited. Awkward. Quiet. And working on it all. The first night is always the hardest. It's been two years since I did a show without knowing a single person involved beforehand. There's a period of adjustment, that's all. It's all cake from here.


3 Comments:
Ok...So...true. Can't wait to see you in the show. You are beautiful and fabulous and they all already know that. Working with new and different people helps us change and grow into better people ourselves. Congrats on a new adventure.
If it makes you feel any better, this is how I feel in EVERY single show I'm in...even if I already know everyone in the cast. =] You're fantastic and I can't wait to see this show already!
You're AMAZING!!! You're going ot be GREAT!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home