Monday, December 05, 2005

Scrooge, Scrooge, And Nothing But Scrooge!

Friday night. Saturday matinee. Saturday night. Sunday matinee.

That's not as much fun as it sounds. And it doesn't sound at all like fun. But we did have good audiences, by and large, and sell-out houses, and lots of friends dropped in.

(Actually, it wasn't excruciating...it's just a lot of costume changes for me.)

The Dane Cook-hosted Saturday Night Live was a riot. I do really wish SNL didn't kinda suck, because Dane Cook would have been even BETTER if he'd hosted in the mid-90s. But still, it was the funniest SNL I've seen in a long time. And I love that the monologue was basically fifteen minutes of his stand-up. And the turtleneck sweater sketch was classic.

Does anyone else see Dane Cook kind of headed in a Steve Martin direction? He's already done a lot of the same things as far as surprising career accomplishments (a comedy album in the Billboard Top 5 has been unheard of since Steve did it 25 years ago) and now here he is, proving himself a cast-member-calibre host.

And how funny was the generic holiday singalong? We've all been going around singing, "Silent Night, Regular Night" for days. Come on! "Oh Tuesday Night, the stars are brightly shining!" That's comedy gold!

It was so much fun to have everyone over to the house Saturday after the show to take in Dane. I love walking people through our house and hearing them ooh and ahh about it. And I like having a house where people can come hang out after the show...when I lived in Apopka, no way. But now we're just right down the road.

We got a Christmas tree! We had to buy a live one, as I'm having problems with my fake tree (mainly, that half of it appears to be missing) and we couldn't afford to throw down for a new decent fake one. Besides, don't you love that smell? I decided to go the nostalgia route - I have two tree-decor modes: gold and white lights with gold and white ornaments, very classy; and multi lights and all the sentimental ornaments I've amassed over the years, including the ones I made as a child in school. Nostalgia wins every time.

There were all sorts of nice little side-notes to the weekend...the post-matinee dinner at Thai Lotus on Sunday with half the cast; the snuggle-on-the-couch Sunday morning with The Skeleton Key (which was somewhat compelling, but had such potential to be a really good thriller and fell tragically short); the Saturday morning cleaning blitzkrieg; the between-show run to Target on Saturday, which was the exact same thing everyone else did between shows. That was almost my favourite part, just because I'm sure the Target team members were all standing around wondering what just happened - we've been invaded by heavily made-up children and adults with weird hairstyles and/or mutton chops.

3 Comments:

Blogger tm said...

When do the regular non-cast-member people get to come ooh and aah at the new house, huh? When?

oh, Silent Night, Regular Night just made laugh all over again. I think we still have it in the DVR, I'm going to go watch it right now...

1:19 PM  
Blogger tm said...

ooh...I just had a funny word verification and I forgot to comment on it...
it was:

okbmeuq - "Okay, be me, you queer!"

1:22 PM  
Blogger Lamba said...

I loved Dane (although SNL could have done much better writing for him). And I can't friggin' wait to come see you, your house, your wonderfully nostalgic tree, oh and to meet this Travis person! :) 2 weeks and counting missy. Are you ready?

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home