Wednesday, November 30, 2005

When You Have To Let Go

First, have you ever heard the sound of a cat shredding a large pile of your hard-earned cash? I have. Yep, woke up the other night to discover that Indiana, who previously only hated my leather club chair (to disastrous end) has determined that ALL of my new furniture is very upsetting.

Did you know that spraying upholstery with anti-perspirant will deter a cat from scratching? (Please continue to sit on the furniture - it's been tested, and it will not rub off, nor is it scented.)

So, if we needed to, I think we could probably open Into the Woods about two weeks from now. We're just about done. I think this show is looking very promising. And yes, I still have a little vocal "thing" for Robb.

Oooh, speaking of which...I have the cast I wished for! Rainey ended up Rapunzel, and Billy ended up Baker, but I still get to hear Robb sing something beautiful, and Nathan's the Wolf! And Amber and Layne are the sisters, just like I'd hoped - the perfect pair.

Yay for this show!

Yay for coming home to find that Travis had cleaned and begun organizing the entire house! It just keeps getting better and better. And last night I got a pretty formidable pinky swear.

My life is still a fairy tale that doesn't even feel real. But I often find that I'm not as privy to the reality of others as perhaps I thought I might be. There's a point in every friendship where you realize that there are corners of their lives that you'd never peered into. It may be something small that shaped who they are...it may be an entire aspect of their lives about which you'd always just made your own assumptions. But this is the time to stop making assumptions, to stand neutral. When dear friends find themselves in pain, all I want to do is gather them up in my arms and hold them for as long as I possibly can. It doesn't matter to me who's jumping, who's slipping, who's just plain falling...my only desire is to catch. And there are no sides in some games, no winning team, no need to choose who to cheer for or against. Not as far as I'm concerned. The one good thing about those corners that you missed...when you don't have the information, you can't find any way to place anger, resentment, blame on anyone...you just share pain on all sides. In some ways, it's better to skip the story and just grasp the beginning and the end, knowing that all that unknown stuff in the middle added up to something very real and very meaningful.

Hold your friends close, and often. You don't know when you'll have the chance again.

2 Comments:

Blogger David Almeida said...

After Toddie's cats descended on my house, I just decided to decorate with a "fringe" motif since they tore up everything.

So, I feel your pain. I am still licking my wounds. Another thing that helps are those cardboard catnip scratching boxes. Cats are creatures of habit, and once they get into the "habit" of the catnip, they're not gonna scratch on some lame-ass couch that gives them no buzz whatsoever.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

double sided tape works. it may look unsightly, but you don't have to leave it up forever. that's how we got spike to lay off the walls, and now he doesn't go near them, knock on wood.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home