Monday, July 25, 2005

Front Brakes: 2. Alyson: 0.

Okay, David and Luerne both already beat me to the discussion of today's lunch at Maui Jack's. I too found it extraordinarily enjoyable and lovely. (And I really wanted to use "First Cats And Now Soviet Depression?", but Luerne had already published it, and I'm trying to be conscious of all our dual readership.)

Let's instead cover the new rule that has been established - Alyson is no longer permitted on the bike without full protective gear. I kinda...sorta...um, well, I wrecked a little. Not bad, just laid the bike down. On me. That left knee, the one that got crushed when a car ran over it? Yeah, I'm not doing it any favours. So in addition to yesterday's goose egged left knee and jammed right shoulder, I now have a badly bruised and swollen left knee, a slightly more jammed right shoulder (try using the freakin' REAR brake), a skinned left elbow, and a bruised right upper thigh. That last one...honestly...I'm not even sure how that happened. But I'll tell ya - I'm really getting the hang of this, and more determined than ever. (Meanwhile poor Travis is patiently dealing with the horror of watching two of his favourite girls - the actual girl and the bike - beat the crap out of each other.)

Two things finally wrapped themselves up this weekend - I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I finished Harry Potter. (Dude, did you see the preview for the next movie? Badass!!)

First of all, I am a soulless monster. I am the only person I know who didn't cry during that book. Frankly, it wasn't all the bad to me. I was expecting INFINITELY worse.

As far as Charlie...I enjoyed it once I stopped thinking of it as the same movie. For a Tim Burton work, it was very enjoyable - and it WAS closer to the book, and I appreciated that. I forgot to offer that pointer to Travis, though, and he seemed ready to leave. As a stand-alone work, it was nice...as compared to the original, it just didn't have the whimsy and the joy. It was more...disturbing. And I hate to say it...but I didn't really care for Johnny. I felt like I could hear the dull chant in the back of his head, "Be weirder than you've ever been before."

I still wish they'd made Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator instead.

I have to apologize for this little paragraph in advance, but I gotta share. While shopping this weekend with Jen M., I had a Beautiful Moment. I used to HATE shopping for pants. You know, that whole "does my ass look lumpy in these" thing I was dealing with, while the brat in the room next to me chirped to a saleslady, "Ohmigod I'm so just totally SWIMMING in these - do you have them in a two?" Ugh. I am, however, proud to announce that at American Eagle, I had to (quietly) ask the salesperson to return the jeans I'd taken into the dressing room and bring me a four long. I don't think I've EVER been a four. Very exciting times for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home