Tuesday, March 15, 2005

If You Are Not Criticized, You May Not Be Doing Much

Today's title comes courtesy of Donald Rumsfeld, of all people, and I love it because it applies to so many situations. I'm quite sure he wasn't directing it at theatre people, but it's a GREAT quote for people who don't like taking notes. I'm going to repeat this one to myself over and over whenever someone is giving me critiques - if I was hopeless, they probably wouldn't even bother.

Last night I had to beat out to Clermont, so I figured I'd swing by the theatre, see Eric and Billy, plus Chris, Jan, Felicia, Diana... So I sat in on Nunsense notes - I missed rehearsal because I was chatting with Bill and Tracy, but that was so pleasant I didn't really want to leave. Any old way - MAN do those women get along great! (Yes, that is sarcasm dripping from my keyboard.) It has to be a fun challenge directing a show with five female leads. It's interesting to sit in on notes for a show with which I have no affiliation - watching people make their excuses while not writing anything down. (Is there any chance you're going to remember all 30 of your notes at 11:00 p.m.?) Eric was hard on himself, but I was very impressed with the things he had to say, by and large - it was obvious he's been studying Terrance. I'd love to watch a rehearsal and make some notes myself, see if I come up with anything helpful. I look forward to trying my hand as an assistant director.

Felicia Hight is one of the most professional actresses I know - at all of, what, fourteen, fifteen years old? She's really just incredible, plain and simple.

Best moment of the night: Jan says something in response to a note, and Felicia deadpans, "Just take the note Jan. Jeez." I almost died of sheer joy, not because she was ribbing Jan (rocking cool lady), but because it was TOTALLY what I would have said. If I heard him correctly, I believe Billy said, "She wasn't like that until you showed up."

Sometimes, though, I think it might have behooved me to have my jaw wired shut. It would have SUCKED, but after four weeks of not being able to say one word, I probably would be much more pensive. I'm not particularly crazy about my tendency to speak without forethought. Sometimes it leads to desired honesty or a very funny statement or situation (like when I barf out whatever thought is in my head regardless of my surroundings or how many small children may be nearby), but sometimes I say something that's hurtful without remotely intending to do so. Imagine if I'd had to spend a month writing everything down instead of saying it - given time to think about it as I write, how much would I really be inclined to say? Interesting...

I miss McKenzi. Just, you know, for the record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home