Start Your Day The Holy Way
AHHHH! (Sound of choir of angels singing.)
I think this shall be a good day. No, it did not start with Pat Benatar - but it DID start with some old school U2, and that's awesome too! ("In the Name of Love", if you were curious.) And it's in the 60s, and the sky is blue, and it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend!
Tonight I have a show, then I bolt at full-tilt for Theatre Downtown and Rocky Horror. It's kind of a shame, because Brandon and Shawn and some other people, I believe, are coming to the show tonight. I've seen Brandon once, that's ONCE, since he headed off to school in August, so I do wish I'd have more time.
Yesterday was a hoot. J and I had dinner at Il Pescatore then met Eric at the gelato place (yeah, and I got on the scale this morning and had lost a pound, so hurray for the pasta-and-gelato diet) before hitting SAK for an evening of...entertainment? Well, there were funny parts. Of course, they were mostly supplied by Eric and myself. But a West Side Story style musical about eating paste can be pretty clever. And a guy fell and hit his head. Injuries are always funny. So, much like when I saw the Grease tour and decided to get back into theatre because the professionals weren't very good, I feel like I should maybe get into some improv comedy.
We did see Jim Reinhart (music director at West Orange's Man of La Mancha; I was introduced to him by Jan) at the ivories, which was fun because it meant that Eric and I got to spend the entire night trying to find ways to throw out La Mancha subtexts. We finally got our chance when I blurted out "Don Quixote!" as a literary style for the eating paste bit. (I was impressed that the actors seemed to have a pretty firm grasp of it - they included a windmill and everything. Hilarious sidenote: Sancho Panza became "Pancho Sancho" and appeared to be from Tijuana.) Point is, it worked - Jim finally saw us and laughed, then launched into a condensed version of the entire score. And played "What Does He Want of Me" under the final sketch of the evening, just for me.
You know what befuddles me? That people can't say "Oh, are you two dating?" Jim mistakenly thought that Eric and I might be a thing (eh?) and he did that "Are you two...?" trail-off thing where you look and point from one person to the other. Like that's not nearly as awkward as asking straight out. Like if the people said "No, we're not dating," you would have an out there by saying "What, dating? No, I meant are you two...um...here...together...or is this a weird coincidence? Yeah." Weirdest thing. If it had been someone I knew, I would have responded with "Why, no, we are not rapidly moving our heads while wagging our fingers and kind of winking...why do you ask?", but we just laughed and said no...and then J came back from the bathroom and looked confused.


3 Comments:
Gelato? Gelato? There's a gelato place?!
If you're talking about the gelato place next to Hue, then bully for you -- I love it!!! It used to be part of the big Sungay brunch ritual. Also ... now that you've seen Sak, are you going to make it out to Comedy Warehouse??? (hint, hint)
The last comment (gelato, improv) was from me. --Luerne.
Post a Comment
<< Home